Skip to main content

Tale- I

How often have you faced the crisis of tracing where your identity lies?

You may think I maybe fooling around but sir, let me remind you, it isn't as easy a question for the most of our likes.

The very first blog that I wrote was on my confusing identity ties,  I was not confident back then. I guess I had a long way to go when it came to owning one's identity. Today, I atleast have some answers.


Anecdote 1:

" In which language do you think", asked my friend.

I was taken back. Well at that very moment I was thinking in Assamese. 

"Oxomia", I replied.

"Well, do you speak Oxomia at home?" , she furrowed her glance in disbelief.

"No, we speak Nepali", I added. I was beginning to see the plathora of confusion rising in her wee head. I was beginning to enjoy it . I maintained my composure. I didn't want to make a fool out of myself.

"How come you speak Oxomia so well?" , she blurted out.

"Well, I am as much an Oxomia as you are. The only difference here is, I learnt Oxomia after I learnt to speak in Nepali", I defended.

 I was used to such questions and had long accepted the fact that no matter how much I tried ,some people would always have questions for me regarding my identity.

She didn't find my answers convincing. She kept on questioning about how could it be possible that I thought in one language whereas spoke in the other. I told her that I was bred in that way. I was taught the best of both cultures and thus I had alligience to both languages.

I told her that I was yet to find some answers and someday when I have found those, I would write to her.

Today, as I write this, I think some questions needn't have one singular answer. To many, my identity would be an open ended puzzle. To me, it defines who I am. I can't take the Nepali out of me nor can be without the Oxomia that resides in me. Thus, I may speak in one language and be comfortable in thinking with the other one.


There are more such tales, will write back soon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while ...

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing...

The dead old tree

As I walked on the road unaware of where the world was headed towards, something caught my attention. It was a dead tree standing erect by the road. What interested me was the way it had been dying a slow death whereas the world around him was yet so green. My eyes lingered towards it's branches, there I saw leaves caught in transition, they were neither green to contain life nor brown to talk of despair. The colour was a shade of yellow with specks of dull green . Did the green in them yet had hope to continue being alive? I asked myself. Then I saw something which moved my heart for the tree, it was home to birds. Little chirpy birds seeked shelter in its dead trunk. How strange life could be, that tree housed life yet couldn't forsee it's end. A cool morning breeze made its dry branch rattle and one of its branches snapped. I could see a man hurry past the road. Before I could actually take hold of what was happening, I saw him drag that branch along with him and my mi...