Skip to main content

City across the boulevard: Pondicherry

"At your age, do you really have REAL problems?", quirked my fellow traveller whom we had met a few hours back.

It was the month of January when I decided to answer my call: a trip to Pondicherry, a long awaited one. I had been to Pondicherry once as a kid with my parents and the place had stayed back in my mind. I refused to let go off the memories but with time I had begun to lose some threads, amnesia wanted to play tricks until I decided to surprise it with a visit once more.

You know, we as kids have little dreams but as we outgrow our sleeves, we tend to outgrow our dreams as well. But, in me Pondicherry had always stayed as a dream. This time, me and my friend Sheempe have carried Pondicherry back in our hearts from the trip. The French colony, the exquisite beaches, the unending coconut grooves, the Idli dosa peppered air and the smelling mogras out of plaited hair; there's so much to remember and so less to let go. But, the lanes there cook stories of all kinds. And, it's food is one of the things that I would never want to forget.

The posh cafes of White town treat you with the best of French bakes. Everything is organic and freshly brewed. There's a tea shop just as you step out of White town and hit Chetty street, good lord I would be happy to lose my fortune to it. They know to give you a run for your money. The Italian ice-cream there fills your palate with delectable finess. What textures, what flavours and what promise those cones hold!

As this little town unleashed it's vigour, I began to get drawn by the boulevard. Those huge paved lanes beside an ever bustling sea is sure to keep you hooked for hours together. I had this waking dream to sit beside the sea as the moon kissed those waves. Those silver foams haven't yet left the gleam of my eyes.

AUROVILLE, situated at the outskirts of the town is an experimental town where you would find people from all over the world co-existing in harmony. This place taught me to look into my inner conscience and articulate my thoughts. There, we had met this fellow traveller, a mom to a teen on a solo travel. This lady surely knew to relish on her own. A bit of small talk saw us exchanging some wider perspective on life. When she came up with, " At your age, do you really have REAL problems?", all that I could do at that moment was look at Sheempe amused and dumbfounded. I don't know what can be an apt answer but she was wise and witty to put the question across.

This has stayed back in me. Pondicherry has a lot more to offer, but most importantly it taught me to keep questioning. It taught me to live in moments that are larger than life. It taught me to accept my flaws and to correct them when needed. It taught me the idea that as you grow, you don't stop living ,you rather start living in the truest sense.

K.L Das uncle, with whom I had a chance encounter in Mother's school made me believe that I was born to answer a greater call. That I had a spot to claim there in Pondicherry if I ever wanted. He taught me to keep believing in miracles that Mother would chart for me, you, everybody. I have been reading "Savitri" which he had asked me to . I surely would find the answers he had assigned as homework. On random days, my WhatsApp buzzes with his forwards which talk of one's right to be happy and on such days I would like to believe somehow Mother has found a way to reach out to me.

No other place could have done what Pondy did to me. I remain obliged and humbled to my core.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing

Grandpa and me

I am the eldest grandchild in my family. And being the eldest, I was pampered a great deal by my grandparents. My aama (grandma) and baa (grandpa) always shielded me from every possible dangers including thrashings from maa. I have pleasant memories of evening story sessions as grandpa took me to bed. Aama would oil my hair and tie pony tails which resembled coconut trees that I used to draw. Sundays meant elaborate sessions with my grandparents. Baa would trim my nails, aama would fondle me to sleep. Their bed room was literally my playing room, my story book reading room, my painting room and what not. With time, as I grew, I got a room of my own but their room was still my favourite one. When I left for hostel, I missed them more than I missed my parents.  It was in the year 2014, I had come home after my exams when aama received a pressure stroke . She couldn't make it. I had spent a month as he lay sick on her bed. All of a sudden, there was a role reversal. I could

What do you want to be?

While I was in my 10th standard, almost everyone I met wanted to know what I wanted to be. This question always perplexed me. From the lens of a fifteen year kid who was not yet sure of the changes which awaited in the near future, this question gave me nightmares. I would constantly sit by the mirror and ask myself, what actually would be my answer. My friends always had fancy answers at their disposal. They would confidently chirp whenever any one asked about it. What amused me most was, my friend who had no inkling to study Biology wanted to be a doctor and another friend who detested the idea of even cooking noodles, wanted to be a chef! But whenever they spoke about their wishes, they would always sound confident. And there I was, fumbling for words which refused to escape my lips. It was not until I entered Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya to do my plus two, I found my voice. The teachers there have a different way of viewing life. For the first time, I no longer felt the classroom