Skip to main content

Photographs

I love clicking pictures , not mine though. Photographs of everything around which catches my attention. Out of all, I like happy pictures for they remind me of happy times.

I wonder how would the world have been without pictures to be stored, probably stories would have replaced them. I would have relied on the stories about my childhood and painted pictures in my imagination. Probably that would have been more fascinating for I could add any hue to it. When did I exactly outgrow my innocent self, I wonder!

What would it be like to get back the consciousness of yester years, to be a kid in an adults body, to live like there was no tomorrow. That precisely I guess is too much to hope for.

Years back when camera rolls offered you limited photographs to be clicked, important occasions marked the ritual of clicking photos. It had to have some significance attached and supposedly if you happened to have no luck, you couldn't make it to the camera roll. That was the charm of the whole ritual, that indeed made photographs special. Fast forward today, it's no longer a ritual. You rarely find the whole family coming together for one single pic which makes to the frame. My grandpa always complains about one thing, before I click any picture of him. He enquires , "Would I get to hold the picture?". He wants to hold it, to show it to its friend. That keeps me thinking, he is a prisoner of time. He has made it to the 21st century but within him lives his old self, who fails to welcome the digital world whole heartedly.

The best part about pictures is, they don't change. We don't change in them. A gap toothed child smiling at the back of his scooter will never get back his tooth, a girl in ribbons will never lose it, my grandma who is long dead will always smile through the picture I have of her. That's what makes photographs special. They speak stories. They let us sort of time travel though in the imaginary scape.

Life wouldn't have been convincing without photographs. Period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while ...

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing...

The dead old tree

As I walked on the road unaware of where the world was headed towards, something caught my attention. It was a dead tree standing erect by the road. What interested me was the way it had been dying a slow death whereas the world around him was yet so green. My eyes lingered towards it's branches, there I saw leaves caught in transition, they were neither green to contain life nor brown to talk of despair. The colour was a shade of yellow with specks of dull green . Did the green in them yet had hope to continue being alive? I asked myself. Then I saw something which moved my heart for the tree, it was home to birds. Little chirpy birds seeked shelter in its dead trunk. How strange life could be, that tree housed life yet couldn't forsee it's end. A cool morning breeze made its dry branch rattle and one of its branches snapped. I could see a man hurry past the road. Before I could actually take hold of what was happening, I saw him drag that branch along with him and my mi...