Skip to main content

My aita's place




My aita's place (grandmother) has always been my personal favourite. I have spent all my vacations during my school days there. It's a remote village located in the banks of Brahmaputra. What makes the place beautiful is its resistance to change. The village aura remains intact till today. As you wake up in the chilly morning, you are sure to find a hearth sending forth tall frames which keep the house warm. The morning air is infused with the smell from mustard fields which overlook the whole village. The tall bamboo grooves run across the village which serve to build thatch houses which you spot at far off distances. Unlike our closely clustered suburbs, you find open fields in the village separating houses across distances.

My aita (grandmother) is a robust old lady who milks her cows, takes stock of harvest, has abundance of mustard in her fields, fishes in her pond and a opulent granary. She came to the village as a bride when she was barely of ten years and today after spending decades together at this place, she has become a guardian figure to the people there. She says that village has kept her moving and she can't fathom a life without it.

Most of the villagers there belong to the tea tribes. They have a radiant lifestyle. With colourful attires and minimalistic expectations, they enjoy the whims of life like no one else. Every Sunday you would see them boozing and planning out feasts. A lady who works in my grandma's fields offered me beetle nut and when I declined saying I haven't consumed it any day she looked at my grandmother and flashed her rotten teeth to proclaim that I was "townia".

My earliest memory dates back to the time when I went fishing to the pond at the backyards. Fishing there is a community event. The whole village fishes together in ponds and share their catch. They roast the fish add a dash of lime and some salt and that  makes it a sumptuous lunch. That platter is something to crave for definitely.

During humid afternoons, they pluck lemons from the grooves and rub salt and Chillies and that mixture is sure to leave you drooling. The cool shade from the bamboo groves, the calm of the village life and the mist settling in the trees is sure to touch every soul in the lookout of serenity.

The people there are resistant to changes. They hardly want to move out of the village in search of livelihood, they rely on agriculture. But, this time when I went there I met a lad who had gone to Bangalore in search of job, that interested me and when I asked him about his achievements, he flashed his ATM card shyly adding that this card would now fetch his family a concrete home. His father who is a petty farmer looked at me with beaming eyes and I could see how proud he was of his son. He took me around the village showing how the government had provided them concrete toilets. What makes those villagers special is they love their villages from their soul, they would toil hard across cities if required but would always want to return to their own place.

Each time I visit this place, it stays with me a little more for I never get enough out of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing

Grandpa and me

I am the eldest grandchild in my family. And being the eldest, I was pampered a great deal by my grandparents. My aama (grandma) and baa (grandpa) always shielded me from every possible dangers including thrashings from maa. I have pleasant memories of evening story sessions as grandpa took me to bed. Aama would oil my hair and tie pony tails which resembled coconut trees that I used to draw. Sundays meant elaborate sessions with my grandparents. Baa would trim my nails, aama would fondle me to sleep. Their bed room was literally my playing room, my story book reading room, my painting room and what not. With time, as I grew, I got a room of my own but their room was still my favourite one. When I left for hostel, I missed them more than I missed my parents.  It was in the year 2014, I had come home after my exams when aama received a pressure stroke . She couldn't make it. I had spent a month as he lay sick on her bed. All of a sudden, there was a role reversal. I could

What do you want to be?

While I was in my 10th standard, almost everyone I met wanted to know what I wanted to be. This question always perplexed me. From the lens of a fifteen year kid who was not yet sure of the changes which awaited in the near future, this question gave me nightmares. I would constantly sit by the mirror and ask myself, what actually would be my answer. My friends always had fancy answers at their disposal. They would confidently chirp whenever any one asked about it. What amused me most was, my friend who had no inkling to study Biology wanted to be a doctor and another friend who detested the idea of even cooking noodles, wanted to be a chef! But whenever they spoke about their wishes, they would always sound confident. And there I was, fumbling for words which refused to escape my lips. It was not until I entered Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya to do my plus two, I found my voice. The teachers there have a different way of viewing life. For the first time, I no longer felt the classroom