Skip to main content

Memories

Lasts are beautiful, but they don't come with any preconceived information. You don't exactly know that you are with that person for the last time together to feel the pangs later. But, are lasts exactly lasts?, for there is always a probability to reconnect with people at points of time. As long as we hold memories, there ain't any loss. Association leads to disassociations but people remain etched in our memory like the mellowed autumn fragrance that lingers in the wind.

We constantly come across people, some become special, some stay as strangers. It's not that we connect with everyone and even when we do sometimes mid way things take twist and turns and disrupt equations. But do we stop communicating? Is that reason enough is what I ask myself. People who made our life beautiful in some point of time  walk the dusty lanes of our memory. In memory we keep them alive. The robust smell of an evening cup of coffee reminds me of the kind Anna who offered me steaming coffee during my visit to Southern India. The smell of Shiulis remind me of those days when I used to gather them handfuls to adorn my grandma's plaited hair, the smell of greasy boroline still reminds me of my grandma's cracked hands which she carefully massaged with boroline each night.

Life in short is filled with memories. I was talking to my friend this morning which triggered in me about the role that memory plays, memory is about permanence. While people would change, memory would be unfaltering. At the end what we all seek is permanence amidst life's transitoriness. Each one of us seek the assurance that nothing unusual would replace the usual. But life surprises us when we least expect it. As long as we hold onto memories, nothing can be counted as loss. For even lasts are not lasts, they always follow another last.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while ...

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing...

The dead old tree

As I walked on the road unaware of where the world was headed towards, something caught my attention. It was a dead tree standing erect by the road. What interested me was the way it had been dying a slow death whereas the world around him was yet so green. My eyes lingered towards it's branches, there I saw leaves caught in transition, they were neither green to contain life nor brown to talk of despair. The colour was a shade of yellow with specks of dull green . Did the green in them yet had hope to continue being alive? I asked myself. Then I saw something which moved my heart for the tree, it was home to birds. Little chirpy birds seeked shelter in its dead trunk. How strange life could be, that tree housed life yet couldn't forsee it's end. A cool morning breeze made its dry branch rattle and one of its branches snapped. I could see a man hurry past the road. Before I could actually take hold of what was happening, I saw him drag that branch along with him and my mi...