Skip to main content

Tape a tale -II

There is a man in the vicinity who in his ordinariness remains an unique being. I often cross paths with him and most of the days I see him carry buckets of water. It seems he has been measuring his life through those water buckets. He is always dressed in tatters but  has those pair of eyes which reflect his innocence. I can see a sufferer in him.

I have always wanted to know about him but never could master the courage to confront him, I didn't want him to grow conscious of my presence so I kept on observing him. It's been days of crossing his path on my way to the college and  he has begun to pass on smiles of recognition. He came up to me some days back  and inquired if I wanted to buy "dhekia" ( edible fern) from him and he wanted just five rupees for it. I bought it paying him some amount extra and he thanked me profusely. I could see his eyes twinkle and that filled my heart with a strange sense of satisfaction.

I got to know about his story from the villagers. He was an outcast and that was the reason I saw him carry water almost every day because he was not allowed access to draw water from his neighbors. My heart moved for him but I knew he wouldn't ever like to talk to me about it.

I had made up my mind to make small talks with him the next time I cross paths with him and there he was, struggling to balance dripping water buckets. I stopped to inquire if he had anything to sell today and he gave a coy smile stating that he was sorry but he couldn't manage to get anything. I said that was okay and off he went his way.

I stood there looking at him and I could feel my heart weigh heavy, ah those buckets had holes in them and most of the water in it dripped away midway. And he again walked a mile or so to refill those buckets. He seemed to wait for a Godot who could put his life to ease but Beckett was very right to put in at the end that Godot never comes but none the less the wait keeps on prolonging. The faith that someone at the end would turn up to give a better ending to things keeps people moving. His dripping buckets talk of his life which is slipping off time. But there he is everyday wearing his innocent smile , balancing his life over those dripping buckets of water!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while ...

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing...

The dead old tree

As I walked on the road unaware of where the world was headed towards, something caught my attention. It was a dead tree standing erect by the road. What interested me was the way it had been dying a slow death whereas the world around him was yet so green. My eyes lingered towards it's branches, there I saw leaves caught in transition, they were neither green to contain life nor brown to talk of despair. The colour was a shade of yellow with specks of dull green . Did the green in them yet had hope to continue being alive? I asked myself. Then I saw something which moved my heart for the tree, it was home to birds. Little chirpy birds seeked shelter in its dead trunk. How strange life could be, that tree housed life yet couldn't forsee it's end. A cool morning breeze made its dry branch rattle and one of its branches snapped. I could see a man hurry past the road. Before I could actually take hold of what was happening, I saw him drag that branch along with him and my mi...