Skip to main content

Tales from Grandpa IV

She sat by her grandpa under a starlit sky. It was a sultry summer night and was still an era where she could actually escape into her dream world aided by power cuts which had devoted hours each night.

She would fiddle with her Maths copy unable to bear the wrath of sums and would keep praying to God to bless them with a power cut which meant story time with her grandpa. No sooner would her prayers get answered, she would spring to action. Ah! There was her grandpa waiting for her as eagerly as she was waiting to hear the story. It was a daily ritual for them to discuss stories. I am attaching one of those:

WHO IS GOD?

The idea of God often perplexed the little kid. Born and brought up in a Brahmin household which vibrated each morning and evening with the chants of prayers offered to deities, the idea of the supreme almighty seemed perplexing. Her mother had instilled into her  the habit of chanting saraswati vandana which she would chant each evening folding her hands as she were expected to do but those Sanskrit words held no meaning for her. She would stare at the statues blinking fast and slow and fast all over again in search of a divine light but she wouldn't find any.

The only recluse she could seek was her grandpa, he had answers to all of her doubts. It was on one such calm evening  that she asked him about the idea of God. Who was he  and how were she to believe in him? She hadn't even seen God except for those statues and posters which weren't convincing enough .

Her grandpa pointing a finger towards a tree whispered, "There, you see God". She was confused, it was a mere tree which held no traces of divinity. Her grandpa with a smile said, " People are looking out for God, but let's say you and me find ours today". He went on to explain how the tree had been supporting life by releasing out oxygen which kept us alive. The idea of God as people believe is as a superpower which is supposed to lease out life and protect it. Thus, the tree had been doing it without asking to be revered. It perhaps found it's God in humans as they aided him to stay alive. The idea was to find the superpower in anything mundane that deserved reverence. She was even more confused and ended up asking grandpa, " Grandma has so many idols adorning our prayer room whom she calls her almighty, why would she do that if the almighty was a tree standing at the front yard?" .

She could see her grandpa's face relax as he pondered over her question and finally spoke to her, " Your grandma inscribes the idea of God in those lifeless objects which she believes protects her whereas for me my god has been anything that i see existing along with me. People wait for their god but what they fail to realise is god is already in and around them. All they need to do is to stop, think and feel".

She finally had found some answers to her questions, she silently muttered a prayer as she helped her grandpa water the tree. They both had found their God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandpa and me

I am the eldest grandchild in my family. And being the eldest, I was pampered a great deal by my grandparents. My aama (grandma) and baa (grandpa) always shielded me from every possible dangers including thrashings from maa. I have pleasant memories of evening story sessions as grandpa took me to bed. Aama would oil my hair and tie pony tails which resembled coconut trees that I used to draw. Sundays meant elaborate sessions with my grandparents. Baa would trim my nails, aama would fondle me to sleep. Their bed room was literally my playing room, my story book reading room, my painting room and what not. With time, as I grew, I got a room of my own but their room was still my favourite one. When I left for hostel, I missed them more than I missed my parents.  It was in the year 2014, I had come home after my exams when aama received a pressure stroke . She couldn't make it. I had spent a month as he lay sick on her bed. All of a sudden, there was a role reversal. I could

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while