Skip to main content

10 years challenge!

Social media seems to be taken by storm by the very recent ten years challenge where people have been posting photos from ten years back with that of the present to highlight what they have come to look like from what they used to be. I can't help but get amused at the fuss people have created around this whole idea.

We all grow over years, outlining our sleeves. Our physique changes drastically. A lean teenager becomes a pot bellied man, a gap toothed kid develops fine jaw lines, it's all a part of the process we call life and life goes on. It doesn't stop with the so called ten years challenge, it's beyond that. What those pictures fail to project are the struggles that perhaps define those ten years, years of pain, of dejection that don't find an outlet to get ventilated.
You smile at the lens, at the world but you don't often smile from your heart. Your heart knows about the pain it endures. To shun your life by comparing two photographs linked together by ten years is a big make believe where you allow the world to be fed in a myth but in the whole process you keep on deceiving yourself of your struggles and pain which those photos fail to reflect.

I am not against people posting photos, what perhaps I am sceptical of is people judging each other on the basis of those photos. It's time we grow and outgrow this ten years challenge for I tell you, you are yet to live  beautiful decades all together which the world not necessarily needs to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My love is enough for both of us"

"My love is enough for both of us", she often felt those words ring in her heart. She finally had understood that life wouldn't always follow her designs. That people are meant to leave but their memories won't. She often had wondered how someone could love her to such an extent when that person had always known that she wouldn't reciprocate those feelings. How could a person stand by her when she always acted as a fleeting shadow. She never had given hope for she knew the pain of dejection but he kept hoping like a hopeless vagabond. How she wished that he would some day hate her enough to let go. She devised ways to free him from this web, she acted cold, turned indifferent, did everything he detested and she finally saw some changes. It was a relief, he finally seemed to take hold of his life. She could see him grow responsible. He finally it seemed was learning to love himself. Phone calls died, meetings subsided, they become known strangers. All this while ...

Life on wheels

The one thing that I always had dreamt of as a kid was to have a caravan that could take me to places.I always wanted a gypsy styled life. The idea itself mesmerized me to the extent that I kept dreaming of it the whole time not even realising how it was time which kept on rolling but I stood exactly at the same place, my dreams could never concretize. What was laughed at as a childish game was so important to me that I keep doodling it in my memory till now. I see a meadow, lush green with those small daffodils growing by, perhaps Wordsworth's daffodils! Then I see a girl, her wild unkept hair sailing in the gentle breeze. She has a smile which speaks of solitude, and her heart , well that's swelling with happiness as he looks at her caravan, after all she finally has a life on wheels. What more could she wish for, what more  can anyone wish for? It's not always that we get to live a life we conceived as a kid, life keeps on deciding our track. From what we liked doing...

The dead old tree

As I walked on the road unaware of where the world was headed towards, something caught my attention. It was a dead tree standing erect by the road. What interested me was the way it had been dying a slow death whereas the world around him was yet so green. My eyes lingered towards it's branches, there I saw leaves caught in transition, they were neither green to contain life nor brown to talk of despair. The colour was a shade of yellow with specks of dull green . Did the green in them yet had hope to continue being alive? I asked myself. Then I saw something which moved my heart for the tree, it was home to birds. Little chirpy birds seeked shelter in its dead trunk. How strange life could be, that tree housed life yet couldn't forsee it's end. A cool morning breeze made its dry branch rattle and one of its branches snapped. I could see a man hurry past the road. Before I could actually take hold of what was happening, I saw him drag that branch along with him and my mi...